Tuesday, August 30, 2011

August 29, 2011


MENU FOR THE WEEK OF AUGUST 29, 2011

It would appear that we came out of Hurricane Irene in pretty good order.  We got a little water in the cellar and lost power for a short time over Sat. night.  All in all, we were very lucky as a lot of areas around here were hard hit.  We are thankful.

I have yet again and hopefully put the grilled Tuscan steak under a brick on the menu.  Every time I have done it in the last few weeks, it has rained and we’ve had to take another direction. I’d like to do this again once before fall really hits.

Julia Child’s Syrian Beef Salad has been good – and rather cost effective for roast beef for two.  A month ago I roasted a small eye round.  Then cut of 12 slices and marinated them. The rest I froze.
It was the frozen roast that I worked with this week, and we are getting two more meals off of it. And it really is a treat.

As we head into September I am not yet willing to think fall food. I hate to rush the season, so I will continue the cold preparations and the grilling for a while yet.  I really want the cool weather to coax me into thinking braises and the like.  And there is always the point that as we both are trying to shed a few pounds, the summer diet is a bit more figure friendly…..

And to this end, we have both done the unthinkable….. We have joined a gym.  Fortunately (or not) it is a new facility and it is not yet ready to open so we have some time to get our mind set in order. I never would have thought this possible, not being the most athletic couple on the face of the earth.  However, with age, gravity and our culinary tastes the time has come - both for weight and for fitness issues.  Damn!


Mon.  AM            Cold Cuts

Mon. PM              Lasagna with Bolognese and Spinach Ricotta Sauces
                             Tossed Salad

Tues. AM             Cold Roast Beef Sandwiches

Tues. PM              Roast Chicken, Pan Gravy
                             Roasted Potatoes
                             Carrots with Mint


Weds. AM            Lasagna revisited
(Meals often morph around here. When I first met my wife I would not eat spaghetti this was made very clear, it was not on the menu. I have always disliked it. A few years after we got married my sister in law served, as entree, two different spaghetti. My wife may even remember what they were. Of course, out of courtesy, I ate them. I could always get a couple of slices at my end of the subway. To my surprise I liked both of them. Since then it is often a lunch. wwj)

Weds. PM            Cold Syrian Roast Beef with Taboula Salad
                             Sliced Tomatoes and Cukes


Thurs. PM            Fillet of Sole with Almonds, Lemon and Capers FW 2003 178
                             Fresh Lemon Pasta EI
                             Sautéed Green Beans

Fri. AM                Home Made Sausages with Sauerkraut


Fri. PM                 Grilled Rib Eye Steaks
                             Potato Salad with    Haricots Verts, Roquefort and Walnuts BA 5/94 107
                             Local Corn

Sat. AM               Steak and Eggs


Sat. PM                James Beard’s Roquefort Mousse JBCC 68
                             Tuscan Grilled Chicken Under a Brick PB 379
                             Cheese Tortellini with Red Pepper Dressing PS 21
                             Sliced Tomatoes

Sun. AM              Cold Cuts


Sun. PM               Chinese Chicken Wings CCI
                             Grilled Shrimp and Andouille Skewers RG 232
                             Orange Rice Salad SOP 86

Mon. AM             Sour Cream Pancakes with Blueberries
                             Home Made Sausages, Coffee
                             Surf and Turf Eggs, shrimp in the eggs 


Mon. PM              Headcheese Vinaigrette
                             Rosemary Brined Pork Chops RG 132
                             Pasta with Pesto Sauce
                             Local Corn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, links are checked. Links which in my opinion are worthy will cause blacklisting.